Alpha Media – Alaska is seeking an experienced Staff Engineer for our radio facilities in Anchorage and Wasilla.
Reporting to the Market Manager will be responsible for the
maintenance of equipment, maintaining broadcast systems and technologies, build out
projects, and ensure FCC compliance. The successful candidate will be familiar with radio
related technologies including, but not limited to, networking and IT, PC/software
maintenance and repair, AM and FM transmitter repair and installation, VHF and UHF radio
technology, digital and analog audio, EAS equipment and studio equipment maintenance.
Alpha Media is a diverse multimedia company sharing your favorite music, sports and news
across a variety of platforms. Whether it's on your phone, desktop, tablet, Alexa,
Google Home or in your car, our stations will enhance your journey. We hire and retain top
talent who are unique, innovative and vibrant. We believe in creating progressive products,
world-class events, and building strong relationships in our communities.
Headquartered in Portland, Oregon, Alpha Media operates 207 radio stations within 45
markets across the United States covering all formats.
We are live, local, and can’t wait to talk to you!
Responsibilities for this position may include:
- Maintain and repair all technical and electronic equipment at the studios and
transmitter sites with a proactive approach to problem solving.
- Install, monitor and perform maintenance on control consoles, audio routers,
recording equipment, microphones, digital audio systems, transmitters, antenna
systems, meters, control systems, and remote equipment, including accurate record
- Maintain, troubleshoot, and repair local computer infrastructure to include local area
network, on-air automation system, and office workstations.
- Assist with, as necessary, the technical needs at remote broadcasts and live
- Interact with management and staff at all levels in a personable, professional
- Other duties as assigned by the Market Manager.
Requirements of this position include the following:
- Knowledge of all applicable FCC rules and regulations.
- Experience in computer based broadcast automation.
- Experience with cluster-wide studio equipment and operations, audio routing and
distribution of analog, digital and audio-over-IP protocols, EAS, satellite receivers,
studio telephones and broadcast IT systems.
- Proficiency in basic electronics theory and principles including Ohms law and the
ability to read schematics.
- Ability to use test equipment, i.e. Multi-meters, Oscilloscopes, Spectrum Analyzers,
and field strength meters in troubleshooting.
- Ability to work independently to troubleshoot and repair high-power AM and FM
transmitting facilities including troubleshooting down to the component level when
- Knowledge of telephone systems and protocols including POTS, ISDN, T1, DSL,
VoIP and PRI circuits.
- Knowledge of building systems, HVAC, electrical, UPS, and standby generators.
- Possess IT skills including PC/server troubleshooting and repair as well as
knowledge of TCP/IP, UDP and local area networking.
- Proven ability to communicate technical information and interact easily with all levels
- Current SBE membership.
- Able to be on-call after hours for emergencies or routine maintenance as needed.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license and current vehicle insurance.
- Must be 21 years of age or older.
Preference may be given to candidates who have the above experience plus the
- Experience with NexGen Automation for Radio.
- Experience with Directional AM Systems.
- Knowledge of telephone systems and cellular.
- SBE, Microsoft, and CompTIA Certifications.
- Associates or Technical Degree in Broadcast Engineering Technology or related
field or an equivalent combination of education and work experience.
- Ability to lift and/or move loads up to 50 lbs.
- Ability to climb ladders and work on elevated surfaces.
If you feel you are a qualified candidate and want to join a fast moving, growing entity
submit your cover letter and resume ASAP by clicking the Apply button at
[Or contact me directly for more information – M.E.]
Alpha Media is an equal opportunity employer and participates in E-Verify.
Mike Everhart, Corporate Director of Engineering
Alpha Media LLC
1211 SW Fifth Avenue Suite 600
Portland OR 97204